As the summer season approaches, festival enthusiasts around the world are eagerly preparing for days filled with music, friends, and unforgettable experiences.
With everything prepared for the trip, an important question arises – can you vape at festivals this year?
As we know, the UK regulations change all the time.
We know that smoking has been banned in public spaces since 2007, improving everyone’s health for the better, but the general rules around vaping are a little bit hazier.
In this comprehensive guide, we'll cover everything you need to know about vaping at festivals, from the latest crackdowns on disposable vapes to choosing the right device and e-liquids. Most importantly, it should be about having fun and respecting those around you.
Why Vaping Has Become Popular at Festivals
Firstly, it offers a more discreet and convenient alternative to traditional smoking.
Think about it – the size of a vape pen or pod is equal to a cigarette in shape but it doesn't require disposing of ash with every puff.
You also don’t need a lighter or need to fiddle around with roll-ups.
While smoking cigarettes may be prohibited or frowned upon at festivals due to health concerns and the smell it produces, vaping allows users to enjoy their favourite flavours without the same level of inconvenience or discomfort for those around them.
One of the main reasons vaping has become so popular at festivals is its versatility. With a wide range of devices and e-liquids available, from disposables to compact pod kits, vapers can customise their experience to suit their preferences.
Additionally, festivals provide a social platform for vapers to connect and share their passion. It's not uncommon to see vapers exchanging tips, trying out new flavours, and even participating in cloud-chasing competitions.
Legal Considerations for Festival Vaping
Before attending a festival, it's essential to familiarise yourself with the laws and regulations regarding vaping in a specific location.
Although you technically wouldn’t be breaking any laws vaping at a music festival, establishments and venues are within their rights to set their own rules, as Glastonbury recently announced with their no-disposables allowed policy.
Although this wasn’t followed by many, according to those who followed the rules set.
Vaping regulations can vary depending on the festival you go to and how they view the smoking vs vaping debate. For instance, many are against disposables due to environmental concerns but don’t consider the damage cigarette butts can do.
To ensure a hassle-free experience, research the vaping laws of the festival's location and adhere to them accordingly. This will help you avoid any potential legal issues and ensure a smooth festival experience.
The Latest News About Upcoming 2023 Festivals
- Reading and Leeds Festival - According to the latest news on their site about what you can and can not bring, there is currently no information about vaping. But considering they state cigarettes (both in camping and arena) are permitted, but confiscate large quantities to sell, we assume e-cigarettes are ok to bring too for personal use.
- Creamfields - The same rules apply to the popular Creamfields festival. Only permitted to vape outside in large open spaces.
- Wireless - In terms and conditions, the Wireless festival states that cigarettes and vaping are banned in all public spaces or buildings including arena big tops. Neither is to be brought in large consumption other than the smaller amount for personal use.
- Latitude - Based on their latest terms and conditions page, vaping is not permitted from the ‘viewing platform’. For now, we advise you to not vape on the premises unless you ask and are told that it is ok by security staff. Let common sense prevail!
Safety Considerations for Vaping at Festivals
While vaping is generally considered a safer alternative to smoking, it's important to prioritise safety when vaping at festivals. The following are some key safety considerations to keep in mind.
1. Battery safety
Ensure your vaping device is equipped with a high-quality battery and follow proper battery handling guidelines. Carry spare batteries and store them in a protective case to avoid any accidents.
2. Temperature control
Providing you don’t get a bit of wet weather from a typical English summer festival, fingers crossed you can bask in some glorious sunshine.
While it might be good for tanning and not needing wellies, high temperatures can lead to overheating vapes or even battery explosions.
Make sure your device has temperature control features and avoid leaving it exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods. It’s also advised to take a bit of a break between puffs and not chain vape, which can overheat the coil and overwork the battery.
Vaping can cause dehydration, especially in warm festival environments. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day and consider carrying a refillable water bottle with you.
4. Vaping in designated areas
If you see the value in vaping as a cessation tool, all you have to do is your part at festivals and respect others – particularly those who do not vape. While it might be good for you, that’s not the case for everyone. It’s best to follow the rules and use a suitable designated area if supplied by the festival venue (often with smokers).
Choosing the Best E-Liquid for Festival Vaping
While we have seen that disposables were banned at Glastonbury, most festivals allow pocket-friendly all-in-one kits. So you have a choice to make.
Do you go with the slightly more expensive yet more convenient disposable e-cigarettes, a refillable pod kit which is compact or a vape mod which puffs larger clouds?
Once you have narrowed down that choice, you can proceed to pick the right e-liquid.
With disposables, they often contain 20mg or 10mg nic salts. These are higher in PG as the base instead of VG, meaning a better throat hit and less cloud production. With refillable e-liquids tanks or pods, here are some factors to consider when selecting the right e-liquid.
- Flavour preferences - Festivals are all about indulging in sensory experiences, and the same applies to vaping. Consider your flavour preferences and choose e-liquids that align with the mood and atmosphere of the festival. Whether you prefer fruity, dessert, or menthol flavours, there is a wide variety of options to suit every taste.
- Nicotine strength - Assess your nicotine requirements and choose an e-liquid with an appropriate nicotine strength. If you're a heavy smoker or rely on nicotine for relaxation, higher nicotine strengths may be more suitable. Alternatively, if you prefer a milder vaping experience, lower nicotine strengths or even nicotine-free e-liquids are available.
Best E-Liquids for Festival Vaping
As the summer season approaches, festival enthusiasts around the world are eagerly preparing for days filled with music, friends, and unforgettable experiences. With everything prepared for the trip, an important question arises – can you vape at festivals this year?