Burnt Taste When Vaping? Here’s How To Get Rid Of It.
For vapers, what’s one of the worst experiences imaginable and extremely common?
That’s right - you’re enjoying your vape when suddenly it starts to develop a burnt taste.
Without a doubt, it can put off beginner vapers quick enough to switch back to smoking, which is not recommended.
But because there are several ways this can happen, it truly stumps some vapers, in particular when they add a new coil.
To get over the hump and back to vaping your favourite e-liquid flavours, we have compiled a useful how-to guide that covers the lot. Before we can begin to explore the ways you can fix or prevent a burnt taste when vaping, first we have to unravel all the potential reasons why it can happen.
What’s the Reason for That Burnt Vape Taste?
The two most common causes for a burnt vape are chain vaping and not priming the coil correctly.
From taking too many puffs in a short space of time, chain vapers prevent the wick from saturating vape juice, causing frequent dry hits which damage the system.
Other factors include not having enough e-liquid in your tank or pod, as well as vaping too much power in one go. However, if you manage these correctly, you’re on the fast track to beating that dreaded burnt taste from your vape. Here is an explanation for those reasons in more depth:
1) Chain Vaping - Every time you vape, the heat from the coil is transferred into the e-liquid and soaked onto the wick, turning it into vapour.
The longer you chain vape, the less time the e-liquid in your tank has to soak into the wick again.
Over a short period, your wick could become dry and it will result in a dry hit, and the need to replace the coil.
Before burning out, you could also find that it impacts the quality of the vapour production you’re getting.
2) Failing to prime your coils - Another common error when replacing a coil is not priming it with e-liquid before hitting that fire button. This will give your wick a head start in soaking up some e-liquid so you can use the device more quickly after replacing the coil. Even after priming, when filling the tank, it’s always a good idea to leave your device for a good 5-10 minutes before using it. This will ensure that your wick is completely saturated with e-liquid, therefore eliminating the risk of a burnt coil on your very first hit.
3) Vape juice nearly finished - If you’re not keeping your tank topped up, the wick may not be able to draw enough e-liquid from it to soak.
Initially, each vape will have less vapour production and begin to lose its flavour.
4) Wattage not matching your coil - Every coil is designed to be used within a certain wattage and temperature range. This ensures that you get the best vaping experience. If you power your device higher than your coil allows, and the device doesn’t prevent it from being used in this way, you’ll be vaping more e-liquid than the wick can soak up. This will result in your coil burning out much quicker than it should.
5) Disposable vape wicking can dry up. With disposable vape kits, you can’t alter any component within the device. And sometimes one of those parts may break down and stop functioning. The wicking drying up unexpectedly is an example of that. This can occur because the vape juice left in the tank is not enough but the battery is still running. The coil will still heat but there is not enough liquid to saturate the wick.
Tips to Get Rid of That Burnt Taste When You Vape
- Prime your coils correctly. When replacing your coil, add a couple of drops of e-liquid directly onto the cotton before filling your tank and putting your device back together. This will give your wick a head start in soaking up some e-liquid so you can use the device more quickly after replacing the coil. Even after priming, when filling the tank, it’s always a good idea to leave your device for a good 5-10 minutes before using it. This will ensure that your wick is completely saturated with e-liquid, therefore eliminating the risk of a burnt coil on your very first hit. You can even do a couple of handy tricks with your coil to keep your vape in good order. With a pair of tweezers, pinch it lightly to spread heat across the component evenly. In turn, it will heat more of the coil and not overheat certain areas leading to ‘hotspots’, which can cause that burnt taste. Add some further drops of e-liquid to the inside of your cotton surrounding the coil. For that additional bit of effort, even with no black burn stains, it can help to remove the bad taste.
- Take your time when vaping. As we mentioned earlier chain vaping is a frequent cause of burnt coils and that nasty taste. Therefore, waiting a few extra seconds between puffs, 15-20 should do it, giving your cotton wrapped around the coil enough time to saturate once again and maximise the performance of your vape device.
- Keep on top of your e-liquid levels. Make sure you regularly check your e-liquid levels. The best way of doing this is investing in a tank or buying a vape kit with good visibility to see the amount of vape juice remaining. That way you will know when to top up your vape juice and prevent early burns from happening.
- Match the wattage with the coil. It sounds obvious but so many overdo it by vaping higher than the coil recommends. Taking a bit of time to check the coil before popping it into your vape tank or pod and keeping the wattage at that level will prevent it from overheating and in turn burning the coil.
- Try to soak the disposable cotton wick - There are only so many options with disposables because of the nature of the device. It’s not intended for long-term use. But what you can do is either turn the disposable kit or pod upside down to ensure the liquid soaks all of the coil, as some areas may already be dry and cause that horrible burning taste with your pre installed coil. Failing that as a last resort, leave the disposable for a short while after the burnt taste and allow the e-liquid to soak for a longer period between puffs. This may allow the wick to saturate at a more efficient pace.
So there you have it, a few reasons why your vape kit may be having that nasty burnt taste. And in addition, what’s required is to fix the solution or at least maintain the life of your accessories such as coils or tanks for as long as possible. To understand a bit more about cleaning your key accessories and keeping your vape in good condition, read here. For all other assistance, don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our team at Pure E-Liquids.
For vapers, what’s one of the worst experiences imaginable and extremely common? That’s right - you’re enjoying your vape when suddenly it starts to develop a burnt taste.